Friday, January 2, 2009

Chateau de Seguin

Coming from South Africa, I tend to drink mostly South African wine. It's most likely the same when you're from another wine producing country like France, Italy or say Agentina, that you tend to drink the wines from your own country. I don't think it's always necessarily that we think our countries make the best wines. Perhaps it is that we don't know enough about the other country's wines to make an informed decision when we buy, and hence just go with what we know. There is the language barrier to consider as well, with labels in Italien, French or Spanish, then the thousands of different grapes and the list goes on.

In Sweden we're lucky, in that Systembolaget, the government owned liquor outlet has wines from every wine producing region in the world, so they pretty much do a lot of the decision making on your behalf. I tend to still choose from what I know, but lately I've been introduced to other wines from other countries and I've started to look for some that I know now, when I'm out shopping. Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, a grape variety from Italy or Bordeaux, a blend from France are my current favourites.

This new year I tried another wine from France, from a farm called Chateau de Seguin. The wine is called Chateau de Seguin Grand Vin De Bordeaux 2006. We had it with some really strong French cheese and the wine came across very smooth, with a taste that lingers in your mouth. Exactly what I want from a wine, with the South African Pinotage being my usual favourite.

Here's what the wine maker has to say: "This is our regular prizewinning wine, which is made acording to the best winemaking methods by our professional staff. It was the first wine made by the Carl family after they bought the Château de Seguin. The wine has aged for 6 months in oak barrels. and is bottle 18 month after the harvest."

My rating: 4/5, just perhaps because we've had lots of wine the whole night, and it stood out from the crowd. I'm going to put it into my basket next time I'm wine shopping to see what it's like the second time around.

2 comments:

Helen Incyte said...

don't become and alchoholic. <3 best of luck i love wine

Anonymous said...

Just tried a bottle from 2008 and loved it! Typically we drink a Mouton Cadet but this is on the same level or better! Bought it for $10 and the Mouton Cadet we buy usually between $8-$10. I am going back today to buy a case! Nice body in the mouth with a little something once swallowed. Husband if from France, I'm from the US. We totally agree for once!