Friday, February 20, 2009

Graham Beck Pinotage (2008)

Wine tasting 2

I was really disappointed by this wine. I've written before that Pinotage is my favourite grape variety, because I like the strong wines it produces. This wine however lacked that strong flavour I was looking forward to. Graham Beck however is one of South Africa's best wine makers and I'm sure there's more to this wine. I'm buying another bottle soon which I'll try with some blue cheese and fig preserve, perhaps then I'll discover its true character.


Panel's rating: 10.88 out of 20




Price: 74SEK
Country: South Africa
Grape: Pinotage

Colour: Blue purple colour

Nose: Fruity, smoky aroma with a hint of barrel, forest berries and herbs.

Taste: “Ripe cherry, strawberries and plums on the nose with ripe red berry fruit and spices on the palate. A full structured and well balanced wine with an elegant mouthfeel and silky soft tannins”. Youthful, fruity, clear and smoky flavor with hints of barrel, forest and grass.

2 comments:

Paul B. said...

I really know what you mean! I'm in Canada and discovered Pinotage in 1998. It fast became my favourite red too because of the strong personality, unlike any other red. Well, soon enough all the modernist complainers started wailing, and nowadays all the Pinotages we get here are softened-down and politically correct. I lament the loss of the old style wines.

Darryl de Necker said...

If you can, try get your hands on a Pinotage from Beyerskloof or Jacobsdal, both South African. As a purist, you'll love it. Blue cheese, fig preserve on a salted biscuit.