Friday, February 27, 2009

Allesverloren Tinta Barroca (2007)

Wine tasting 4

Allesverloren is a very well known wine farm in South Africa that produces really good quality wines. My favourite is their Cabernet Sauvignon that has been aged between 5-8 years. This Tinta Barroca grape is not a well known variety but will stand tall amongst the better known wines such as Shiraz or Merlot. The flavours are not what you might expect, but midway through your glass it is surely to become a favourite.

Panel's rating: 3,51 out of 5




Price: 109SEK
Country:
South Africa
Grape: 100% Tinta Barroca

Colour: Purple

Nose: Fruity, spicy, slightly burnt aroma with a hint of barrel, cherry, licorice and grass.

Taste: Fruity, spicy, slightly burnt taste with hints of barrel, plums, cherries and licorice.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Cape Town summer 2008 and stumbled upon Allesverloren's Shiraz while dinning out. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to try their other wines. I fell in love with their cabernet and drove up to visit the vineyard. That's where I tasted the tinta for the first time. Excellent! I'm going back to South Africa in a week. And Allesverloren is a big reason why.

Darryl de Necker said...

Here in Sweden it's not possible to store wine for a long time indoors, as we do in South Africa. So it's a shame that we can't age the Allesverloren Cabernet Sauvignon 5-8 years, because then, in my opinion, the magic happens.